Have you ever tried Huevos Rancheros? I realize that they are only eggs, but wow are these eggs good! This was one of the most satisfying breakfasts that I’ve made in a long time. Rich, spicy, beautiful colors, absolutely delicious. Thanks to Mexico for all the wonderful food!
I enjoyed this dish very much. The eggs, still a little runny, have a creamy texture that complements the beans well. The cilantro is very aromatic, and these elements, together with the excellent tomato salsa and queso fresco on top, make for a fantastic dish for breakfast or even dinner. Huevos Rancheros is a wonderful meatless dish. Enjoy it!
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 organic eggs, fried sunny side up
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 cans (15oz) red kidney beans
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can(28 oz) can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves,fine chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- !/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- Salt to your taste
- To make the beans: In a pot add olive oil and onion over medium heat. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the beans, cumin and stock. Cook about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use a fork or potato masher and mash the beans. Set aside until ready to use.
- To make the salsa: Place all the ingredients in the food processor and process.
- Place the mixture in a pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until salsa is thickened, about 12 minutes.
- To assemble: Place 1 warm tortilla on each plate. Divide the beans among them, then top with a fried egg, some salsa and queso fresco. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...