Sopa de Orejas is a traditional Colombian soup made with rice fritters, vegetables and spices.
One of my all time favorites is a delicious and comforting bowl of Sopa de Orejas. This is a comforting soup made with beef broth, potatoes, cilantro, onions, scallions, garlic, achiote, cumin and rice fritters.
Sopa de Orejas is a traditional Colombian soup from the Antioquia department of Colombian, the region where I was born and raised.
Colombian Rice fritters Soup Recipe
- 10 cups of beef broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 3 scallions chopped
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of achiote
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups of cooked white rice
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sazon goya with azafran
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot, add the onions, scallions, garlic cumin, achiote, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Add the broth, carrots and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce temperature and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, start making the fritters: Place the rice in the food processor and process for about 2 minutes.
- Mix well, the rice, milk, eggs, sazon goya, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a skillet. Drop the rice mixture by tablespoons into hot oil. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Add the fritters to the soup and cook for 12 minutes more. Add fresh cilantro and serve warm with rice and avocado on the side.
This soup is hearty, satisfying and full of flavor.
More Soups to Try