This Arroz con Coco y Camarones is very popular in the coastal areas of Colombia. The first time I ate this Coconut Rice with Shrimp was in the city of Cartagena while in college on a field trip with my Hotel and Tourism Administration class.
Cartagena is located in the Caribbean region of the country and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Colombia.
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 Cups long-grain white rice
3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
4 cups coconut milk (fresh or canned)
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt, divided
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
1. Place the shrimp in a plastic bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, chili powder and onion powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
3. Add the rice, sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, stir until well coated.
4. Add the coconut milk. bay leaf and bring to a boil, for about 5 minutes, reduce the heat to low and add the shrimp. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is just tender and the liquid is absorbed.
5. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf. Add the parsley and let it sit for 5 minutes and serve hot.