Catfish and Potato Pie (Pastel de Bagre y Papa)
- 4 6oz catfish fillets
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and sliced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 fish bouillon tablet
- 4 tablespoons butter plus more to grease the baking pans
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chives For garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Greased 4 small baking dishes with butter .Set a side.
- Cook the potatoes in salted water for about 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium skillet melt the butter over medium high heat, sauté the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the heavy cream, fish bouillon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Let it cool and add the beaten eggs.
- Season the fish fillets with cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.To assemble: Place a layer of potatoes on the bottom of each baking dish. Add about 2 tablespoons of the heavy cream mixture on top. Place a fish fillet on top of the potatoes and top with another layer of potatoes and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream mixture.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on top and bake for about 25 minutes or until cook. Garnish with fresh chives and serve.
This catfish and potato pie is a traditional Colombian dish. Catfish or bagre is a popular fish in Colombia and we cook it in many different ways, this cake being one of them. I prepared it in individual servings this time for a little change as it in normally served in one larger baking dish. Any other type of white fish would work in place of the catfish and you can even add shrimp if you like, which makes for a delicious addition!