We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Colombia, as it is an American holiday, but since meeting my American husband, I celebrate this American tradition with his family. I am sure most Colombians would love to have another day to celebrate and an excuse to have a party .
A classic side dish that I usually see on a Thanksgiving Day table is potatoes. So, today I am giving you my saffron and garlic mashed potatoes recipe, which has delicious flavor from the saffron. Why not try this recipe on Thanksgiving Day?
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large pinch of saffron
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes and garlic in a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the potatoes until fork tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and drain.
- Place the potatoes back in the pot and return to the heat. Stir the potatoes, constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes to dehydrate the potatoes. Remove the potatoes from the heat.
- Add the butter. Using a hand held masher, mash the butter into the potatoes.
- Place the milk in a saucepan with the saffron and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add cream and saffron milk. The potatoes should still be sort of lumpy. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.