This post is also available in Spanish
Camarones a la Criolla is a delicious shrimp stew made with coconut milk. It is simple and quick to prepare, just serve it over coconut rice or white rice. This Colombian classic blends the delicious flavor of coconut milk with the great taste of shrimp.
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh ground pepper
- 2 cans coconut milk
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Turn off the heat, add the shrimp and cover. Leave the shrimp in the hot water for 1 minute, drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and vegetable oil. Add the onions, tomato, red pepper, garlic, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk to the saucepan, bring the sauce to a simmer and then reduce the heat to medium low. Add the shrimp and cook in the sauce for 5 minutes, Remove from the heat and add the chopped parsley and chopped cilantro. Add salt and pepper if necessary and discard bay leaf.
- Serve each portion in a bowl with rice.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...