During the summer I want meals to be quick and easy to prepare, but also refreshing and filling. These grilled shrimp skewers are seasoned with cumin, paprika and onion powder to give them a nice flavor. Then they’re grilled and topped with a sauce made with mango pulp, onion, hot pepper, garlic, cilantro and butter.
Shrimp and mango together are one of those perfect matches. This mango sauce is a great accompaniment to any type of seafood. It works especially well with baked salmon and grilled tilapia as well. You can prepare these shrimp skewers as part of a full meal or make them smaller and serve them as appetizers with the sauce.
24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
Crushed red pepper, to your taste
1 cup mango pulp
1 tablespoon sugar
Salt and pepper
To make the mango sauce:
1. Heat butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft.
2. Add mango pulp and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the sugar, red pepper, cumin and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fresh cilantro and set aside.
To make the shrimp:
1. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, the cumin,onion powder, paprika salt and pepper. Add the shrimp, stir to coat and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
2.Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and discard the marinade. Thread the shrimp onto skewers. Arrange the skewers on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
3. Serve immediately with the mango sauce on top or the side.