Repollo Guisado (Colombian-Style Stewed Cabbage)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup of tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 /2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup of vegetable stock or water
- ½ small green cabbage cored and cut into thin shreds
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
- Heat the oil over medium low heat, add the onion, crushed garlic, scallions, bell pepper, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, ground cumin for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the stock, or water, and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes more. Adjust the seasonings if needed. Add fresh parsley or cilantro and serve warm.
Repollo Guisado combines crunchy cabbage and Colombian spices in a flavorful tomato sauce. This is a simple yet flavorful meatless dish. A few ingredients prepared with a few aromatic spices, creates a delicious side dish, or a vegetarian main course.