This post is also available in Spanish
Soups are very popular in Colombia. When I was a child, my mother made soup every day for lunch, whether we wanted it or not. Nowadays, soup is comfort food and I wish I could have my mother’s soup every day. When I go to Colombia I ask my mom to cook my favorite soups for me. We make a variety of both broth and cream soups. This vegetable soup or Sopa de Verduras is really easy and quick to make.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, peas, carrots and lima beans)
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sazon Goya with azafran (for Color)
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat; add the onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bay leaf, mixed vegetables, potatoes, cumin, sazon Goya, salt and pepper.
- Cook about 25 to 30 minutes into the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, discard bay leaf, season to taste and add chopped cilantro.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...