This post is also available in Spanish
Soups are very popular in Colombia. When I was a child, my mother made soup every day for lunch, whether we wanted it or not. Nowadays, soup is comfort food and I wish I could have my mother’s soup every day. When I go to Colombia I ask my mom to cook my favorite soups for me. We make a variety of both broth and cream soups. This vegetable soup or Sopa de Verduras is really easy and quick to make.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables (corn, green beans, peas, carrots and lima beans)
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sazon Goya with azafran (for Color)
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat; add the onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bay leaf, mixed vegetables, potatoes, cumin, sazon Goya, salt and pepper.
- Cook about 25 to 30 minutes into the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat, discard bay leaf, season to taste and add chopped cilantro.