This Pineapple Hot Sauce recipe is a spicy sauce made with pineapple, hot chile peppers, lime juice, vinegar, scallions and cilantro. Ají de Piña is a traditional sauce from Popayán, a beautiful and historical city located in southwestern Colombia and the capital of the Cauca department.
Ají de Piña is usually served with tamales de pipian, empanadas de pipian and grilled meats among others. I love the combination of textures and flavors of this Pineapple Hot Sauce.
Ají de Piña (Pineapple Hot Sauce)
- 1 habanero pepper, chili pepper or ají
- 1 ½ cups grated pineapple
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning to your taste.