Arroz Clavado is a traditional Colombian dish. This rice with smoked sausage and cheese is a great one pot dish for a weeknight meal.
Arroz Clavado (Rice with Smoked Sausage and White Cheese)
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups diced smoked sausage or longaniza
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup hogao
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon achiote
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup white cheese or mozarella diced
- Fresh cilantro
- In a large pan over medium heat, add the oil and the sausage. Sautué for 5 minutes or until the sausage is brown. Add the hogao and rice and stir to coat.
- ufffd Add the water, stir and bring to a boil. Add cumin, salt and color. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Turn the heat off and fluff the rice with fork. Add the diced cheese and fresh cilantro and stir. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
Each region of Colombia has it own style of food and character dishes. For example, in the department of El Choco, Arroz Clavado is a very popular dish. I thought I would share my recipe for this dish with you.