Arroz Sapopero (Soupy Rice with Beef and Smoked Sausage)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound beef diced
- 1 smoked sausage sliced
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup rice
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- ½ cup peeled and diced white potato
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 cup green beans cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the oil and butter. Add the sausage and beef. Sautué for 5 minutes or until the sausage and beef are brown. Transfer the meats to a plate.
- Add the onions and scallions and cook for about 5 minutes, Add the rice and stir to coat. Return the meats to the pan and add the potatoes, carrots and green beans.
- Add the water, stir and bring to a boil. Add cumin, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 45 minutes or until the rice is done and the beef is cooked.
- Turn the heat off and fluff the rice with a fork. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
Arroz Sapopero is simply a soupy rice, with a texture similar to risotto, cooked with beef chunks, vegetables and smoked sausage. This traditional dish, originally from the Huila department of Colombia, is flavorful, filling, and absolutely delicious.
I served it with avocado on top and it was the perfect accompaniment. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did!