I made these delicious Dulce de Leche Cookies last month, but somehow never got around to posting them. You can never have too many dulce de leche or arequipe recipes, right? 😉
Make these cookies and share them with someone you love.
Galletas de Arequipe (Dulce de Leche Cookies)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup dulce de leche
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sugar for rolling
- Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven to 350° .
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the butter on medium speed for a minute or two, until smooth and creamy. Add the dulce de leche and beat for another minute.
- Add the sugars and beat for 3 minutes more. Add the egg, beating for 1 minute more.
- Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl and, on low speed, add the dry ingredients, mixing for about 2 minutes. The dough will be very soft and mushy.
- Pour the ½ cup of sugar onto a small plate. Roll the dough between your palms into balls and drop the balls, a couple at a time, into the sugar.
- Roll the balls around in the sugar to coat them, then place on the baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between them.
- Dip the fork in the sugar and press the tines against each ball until you have a flattened round.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back at the midway point. The cookies should be a little soft.
- Let the cookies rest on the baking sheets for one minute before transferring them to the cooling racks. Cool to room temperature.