Pastel Borracho (Colombian-Style Drunken Cake)
- 1 sponge or pound cake
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup of water
- ½ cup dark rum
- 1 cup of pitted prunes
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- To make the creme anglaise: Place evaporated milk, cream, vanilla extract, yolks and sugar in the blender until well combined.
- Bring the mixture to simmer over low heat in a small sauce pan. Stir often until custard thickens, about 7 minutes (do not let it boil). Strain sauce into a bowl. Cover and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- To make rum syrup: In a small pot, combine the water and sugar. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and stir in the rum and prunes.
- o assemble: Using a serrated style knife, cut the cake in half horizontally. Place 1 layer on a plate. Drizzle ½ of the rum syrup over the top, then drizzle half of the creme anglaise and top with half of the prunes.
- Top with another cake layer and repeat with the rest of syrup, creme anglaise and prunes.
- Serve immediately, or cover with a cake cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Looking for a dessert for this Memorial Day weekend? How about Pastel Borracho? Pastel Borracho is basically rum-soaked sponge cake, top with prunes and creme Anglaise. The rum syrup makes this cake rich and incredibly moist, without being soggy, and has a wonderful texture.
Pastel Borracho is the perfect cake for just about any occasion. Buen provecho!