After buying a lot of fresh corn at the market last week, I was searching for ways to use it beyond choclo asado (grilled corn) or boiled corn. Then remembered a delicious and simple savory corn cake that my grandmother used to make in Colombia called Pastel de Choclo y Pollo.
Pastel de Choclo y Pollo (Corn and Chicken Cake)
- 5 cups of corn kernels
- 2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup chopped white onions
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ¼ cup corn meal
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breast cooked and shredded
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Grease a baking pan.
- Place the corn kernels, 1 cup of cheese, onions, garlic, corn meal, cream, eggs,sugar, salt and pepper in the food processor, process until everything is pureed.
- Pour half of the corn mixture into the prepared baking pan. Add the shredded chicken and the rest of the cheese. Then add another layer with the rest of the corn mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm with a salad on the side.
Pastel de Choclo is a very popular dish in Colombia and South America. There are different versions of corn cakes, every country and cook having their own recipe. I previously posted a Colombian Style Corn Cake recipe that I love that had no filling and is very simple to make. So if you are looking for new ideas to use fresh corn this summer you can find that recipe here.
This Pastel de Choclo y Pollo (Colombian Corn and Chicken Cake) has a chicken and cheese filling. It's a wonderful dish and I like to serve it with avocado slices or my easy Avocado and Tomato Salad on the side.
Oh I really like this 'cake' and all that beautiful fresh corn in it. Great recipe.
Never seen that one before but I bet I would like it a lot! So fast and easy too!
What a unique and delicious corn recipe! Great with a green salad for a summer lunch.
What size baking dish do you recommend?
i've never seen a cake quite like this one, erica--very clever! i'm sure it's delicious too. i'm a chicken and corn girl, through and through.
Just like Grace said, never seen anything like this. I was thinking it would be like a patty (like a crab cake) so this was a real surprise. It sounds and looks really good.
Erica: Can I substitute the heavy cream with Greek yogurt?
The taste will be different, but you can try it!
Thank you. Looks simple wonder how it would tast with another cheese?
Very tasty I have tried versions without cheese, but I’m a real cheese lover. I threw in some black olives for the heck of it. Next time I might add a little cumin.