After buying a lot of fresh corn at the market last week, I was searching for ways to use it beyond choclo asado (grilled corn) or boiled corn. Then remembered a delicious and simple savory corn cake that my grandmother used to make in Colombia called Pastel de Choclo y Pollo.
Pastel de Choclo y Pollo (Corn and Chicken Cake)
- 5 cups of corn kernels
- 2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup chopped white onions
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ¼ cup corn meal
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breast cooked and shredded
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Grease a baking pan.
- Place the corn kernels, 1 cup of cheese, onions, garlic, corn meal, cream, eggs,sugar, salt and pepper in the food processor, process until everything is pureed.
- Pour half of the corn mixture into the prepared baking pan. Add the shredded chicken and the rest of the cheese. Then add another layer with the rest of the corn mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm with a salad on the side.
Pastel de Choclo is a very popular dish in Colombia and South America. There are different versions of corn cakes, every country and cook having their own recipe. I previously posted a Colombian Style Corn Cake recipe that I love that had no filling and is very simple to make. So if you are looking for new ideas to use fresh corn this summer you can find that recipe here.
This Pastel de Choclo y Pollo (Colombian Corn and Chicken Cake) has a chicken and cheese filling. It's a wonderful dish and I like to serve it with avocado slices or my easy Avocado and Tomato Salad on the side.