Pumpkin with Coconut and Curry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 cups diced pumpkin
- 1 can coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut plus more for garnish
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium sauce pan. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and pumpkin and cook for about 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the coconut milk, cumin, curry, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded coconut, stir and cook for 2 minutes more. Serve immediately.
What to do with so many pumpkins and butternut squash? Of course you can make pies and soup, but how about something different? Here is a simple and delicious side dish made with pumpkin.
It's fall here in the Northeast and there are pumpkins everywhere. It is hard not to cook with them. I have to confess that it is the first time I cooked with pumpkins and I loved it!