Few things in life give me more joy than eating arepa with fresh cheese for breakfast, so why not make them as an appetizer? Arepa chips topped with queso fresco and Colombian chorizo are delicious and addictive . I could not stop eating these little things.
(About 12 to 15 Arepa chips)
- 2 cups pre-cooked white or yellow arepa flour or cornmeal
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups crumbled queso fresco
- 2 Colombian chorizos, thinly sliced and cooked
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Combine the cornmeal, warm water, parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp butter and salt, mixing thoroughly. Let mixture stand for five minutes.
- Knead with your hands for about 3 minutes moistening your hands with water as you work.
- Form 4 balls with the dough. Place each ball between 2 plastic bags and using a flat pot cover, flatten to 1/8 inch.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough in small rounds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place the arepa chips on a serving platter and top each arepa with queso fresco and 1 chorizo slice. Sprinkle cilantro and serve.