I love chicken and I usually prefer to cook with dark meat rather than white meat for better flavor. This chicken with mushroom sauce is a simple, comforting and delicious dish.
I think that comfort food should never be seasonal and in Colombia we cook stews, soups and other comforting dishes like this one no matter how hot it is outside. This dish can be prepared up to one day ahead.
White rice and avocado are perfect accompaniments to this dish.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 chicken thighs or legs
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh thyme
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper. In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the chicken and cook, turning once or twice, until golden brown on both sides, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion and sauté until barely softened, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté until their juices are released, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the chicken broth and heavy cream.
- Return the chicken and any juices from the plate to the pan and spoon the mushrooms over the chicken. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and braise the chicken until opaque throughout, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the thyme, parsley, cumin and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm over white rice.