I love Quinoa no matter how it is prepared, and the fact that it is such a healthy grain, is an added benefit. This Quinoa Chicken Salad is ideal for a picnic or barbecue, as it’s very easy to put together and can be made the night before serving. This is a different type of salad that I hope you will enjoy.
(4 main courses)
- 1 cup organic quinoa
- 2 cups diced and cooked chicken
- 2 large carrots peeled
- 1 cup cucumber, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado peeled, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Juice of 4 limes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the quinoa in a pot. Add 2 cups of water, and a pinch of salt.
- Cover and cook on a low simmer until all the water is evaporated and the quinoa is tender about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and place in a large salad bowl. Using a vegetable peeler cut the carrots lengthwise into thin ribbons or slices.
- Add the chicken, carrots, cucumber, cilantro, tomato and red onion.
- Whisk together the dressing, pour it over the quinoa salad and toss gently to coat. Season to taste with salt and ground pepper.
- Just before serving, add the avocado and lightly mix.