I don’t bake often so you won’t find all that many cake, cookie or pie recipes on my blog. And when I do bake, I make mostly simple cake and pastry recipes. For those like me who are not great bakers, trust me, this is a delicious and easy to make cake recipe.
I love limes and sweet condensed milk and always have them in my house! The other day I was craving something sweet and decided to create this Lime Cake. It was the perfect combination of sweet and citrus.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest and juice of 1 and 1/2 limes
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
Sweet Condensed Milk Frosting:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
3/4 cup sweet condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a cake pan and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, vanilla, and lime zest and juice . Set aside.
5. With an electric mixer, cream butter and granulated sugar. Add eggs one at a time.
6. Add flour mixture, alternating with additions of the buttermilk mixture.
7. Pour batter in a cake pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Let it cool on a rack.
To make the frosting:
9. Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until creamy, about 1 minute.
10. Reduce speed to medium. Add half of the sugar and beat about 5 minutes. Increase speed to high and add the rest of the sugar. Beat for 5 seconds, then reduce speed to medium.
11. Add sweet condensed milk and beat until the frosting is smooth.
12. Frost cooled lime cake and serve.