I have great news to share! I’m a new contributor for Parade Magazine!
I am so honored to be writing for this popular American online publication. I will let you know whenever I post a new recipe on Parade.com, so you can go and check them out. I would love to hear what you think.
Today, I am sharing one of my favorite Colombian appetizers or snacks, Patacones with Shredded Chicken and Avocado (Patacones con Pollo Desmechado y Aguacate). This is a very simple recipe and absolutely delicious.
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 3 large green plantains
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 avocados
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Avocado spread and Garnish
- For the shredded chicken:Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the tomatoes, scallions, garlic, ground cumin and cook gently for about 7 minutes, stirring until softened.
- educe the heat to low, add salt and pepper. Cook for 7 minutes more, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened. Check and adjust the seasoning.
- sing your fingers or 2 forks, pull the chicken into shreds. Mix the shredded chicken with the tomato sauce and set aside.
- For the patacones:Peel the plantains and cut cross-wise into ½” slices.In a medium heavy pot, add vegetable oil and heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the plantain slices to the heated oil in a single layer. Fry for about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Carefully remove the plantains with a slotted spoon, and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Let the patacones cool for 3 minutes. Then, place the plantains on a piece of plastic wrap and cover with another piece of plastic wrap. With a flat pot cover, press well on the pieces of plantain, flattening them to ¼” thickness.
- hen, using tongs, add them back in the hot oil in a single layer (you may need to work in batches) and fry for an additional 3 minutes on each side.
- emove the patacones with slotted spoon and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb oil. Sprinkle with salt, to taste, and transfer to a serving plate.
- For the avocado spread, and the assembly:To make the avocado spread, mash the ripe avocados with the lime juice and salt.Spread the avocado mixture on the patacones.
- dd the shredded chicken and top with the cheese and cilantro. Serve and enjoy.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...