This seafood lasagna was very flavorful and so good. I love making lasagna because it can be made in advance which makes it the perfect main dish when having company. I used salmon and shrimp, but you can use your favorite seafood for the filling. Serve it with a green salad on the side.
- 3/4 pound dried lasagna noodles
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated onions
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled, deveined and cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked salmon, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly ground Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.
- To make the white sauce, bring the milk to a simmer in a small pot and set aside. In a medium saucepan melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for about 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Pour the warm milk into the flour mixture. Season with and pepper. Stir using a whisk, for about 3 minutes, until thick. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- To make the filling: Heat oil and butter in a large pan. Add the onions, carrots, garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream, tomato paste, cumin, shrimp and salmon. Stir and set aside.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread some of the white sauce in the bottom of baking dish.
- Arrange a layer of noodles on top, then more sauce, followed by 1/3 of the seafood mixture, 1/4 cup grated mozzarella and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Repeat 2 more times, layering noodles, sauce, seafood, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Top with a final layer of noodles and white sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the lasagna for about 40 minutes, or until the top is browned Allow to sit for 15 minutes, sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve hot.