For me nothing beats dulce de leche, or arequipe, in a dessert, not even chocolate The truth is, my favorite way to eat dulce de leche is with a spoon directly from the container. Now that makes me happy just thinking about it!
But sometimes I like to create desserts with it and today I want to share a delicious Dulce de Leche Cake that you can bake for Valentine’s Day or any day you feel like celebrating.
For the cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons of dulce de leche
For Dulce de Leche glaze:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dulce de leche
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. To make the cake: Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a cake pan.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3.Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until pale, then add vanilla.
4. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. At low speed, beat in milk and dulce de leche until combined.
5. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, mixing until each addition is just incorporated.
6. Spread batter in cake pan. Bake in center of oven until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
7.Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then run a knife around edge of pan. Invert onto rack and cool completely, about 45 minutes.
8.To make the glaze: Place cream, dulce de leche, vanilla and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often and cook for 10 minutes.
9. Pour hot glaze over top of cake, allowing it to run down sides.