This Torta de Repollo or Cabbage Cake is a traditional Colombian recipe that is usually served with tomato sauce. You can serve it as a main dish for a light lunch, or as a dinner side to meat, poultry and seafood dishes as well.
Cooked cabbage is one of those foods that I hated when I was a kid. I guess it was the texture, because I didn’t have a problem eating uncooked cabbage. My grandmother used to make many different Colombian dishes with cabbage, and I couldn’t even look at them. Now I regret having missed out on all those cooked cabbage dishes that I refused to even try!
(About 8 servings)
1/2 cup melted butter
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 large cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 pound white cheese, shredded (mozarella or queso blanco)
5 beaten eggs
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
1/4 cup fresh parsley
Salt and pepper
1. In a large sauté pan over medium heat melt the butter. When the butter is hot, add the scallions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl.
3. Add the cheese, eggs, milk, bread crumbs, parsley and season with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until is set at 350 F.
5. Serve warm with tomato sauce on the side.