Torta de Repollo (Colombian-Style Cabbage Cake)
- ½ cup melted butter
- 3 scallions finely chopped
- 1 large cabbage cored and thinly sliced
- ½ pound white cheese shredded (mozarella or queso blanco)
- 5 beaten eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- In a large sautué pan over medium heat melt the butter. When the butter is hot, add the scallions and sautué, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl.
- Add the cheese, eggs, milk, bread crumbs, parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until is set at 350 F.
- Serve warm with tomato sauce on the side.
This Torta de Repollo or Cabbage Cake is a traditional Colombian recipe that is usually served with tomato sauce. You can serve it as a main dish for a light lunch, or as a dinner side to meat, poultry and seafood dishes as well.
Cooked cabbage is one of those foods that I hated when I was a kid. I guess it was the texture, because I didn't have a problem eating uncooked cabbage. My grandmother used to make many different Colombian dishes with cabbage, and I couldn't even look at them. Now I regret having missed out on all those cooked cabbage dishes that I refused to even try!