My husband became a vegetarian over a year ago, so you could imagine what a change it was for me as well, as the cook in the family. I feel really proud of him because he appreciates good food and he very much enjoyed eating all types of meat dishes from a great hamburger, to a juicy steak, to a gourmet fish dish, but now, he won’t eat anything with a face 🙂 So, I am always looking for good vegetarian recipes for him and the other day I made this chili and he loved it!
- 2 cans (15 oz) red beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups tomato purée
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Put one can of the black beans in a food processor with the chipotle and adobo. Process until smooth and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Then add the red bell pepper, garlic and carrots and cook for about 3 more minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the cumin, chili powder and oregano and cook for 30 seconds. Add all the beans, brown sugar and the tomato purée. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and water. Cook for 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the fresh cilantro and serve.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...