Arroz Chino Al Estilo Colombiano (Colombian-Style Fried Rice)
- 3 whole chicken breast bone in and skin removed
- 2 scallions
- 1 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 3 cups of white rice Cooked with chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon of Worcesterhire sauce
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 3 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 eggs scrambled
- 2 bunches of scallions chopped
- ½ pound fresh bean sprouts
- 1 pound of cooked shrimp
- Place the chicken breast, 5 cups water and the remaining ingredients for the stock in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the chicken rest in the pot for about 15 minutes covered. Let it cool, shred and set aside.
- Heat the butter and oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add the chopped onions, crushed garlic, cumin, cilantro and peppers. Cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cooked rice, shredded chicken, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce. Stir well and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the scrambled eggs, peas, carrots, scallions, green onions, bean sprouts and shrimp. Mix well and cook for about 3 minutes more.
- Transfer the rice to a serving dish and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.
This is the Colombian version of the world famous Chinese fried rice, and it was one of the staple dishes at our house growing up in Colombia. Colombia has Chinese restaurants every, some are poor quality and some are upscale, and this Arroz Chino is one of the most popular dishes in the country.
Colombian families started making their own variations at home. Colombian-Style Fried Rice or Arroz Chino al Estilo Colombiano is usually made with chicken, pork, or seafood. Some cooks add chorizo, bacon, ham, or just use plain vegetables.
This Arroz Chino Al Estilo Colombiano dish is a combination of my Aunt Consuelo's and my mom's recipe, with my own twist. My aunt Consuelo makes hers with chicken, bacon, and shrimp, whereas my mom makes hers with only chicken and bacon, because she doesn't eat shellfish. Oh, and my mom would sometimes add hotdogs to her recipe too! Don't worry, I left out the hot dogs in my version.
This rice looks amazing. So amazing I think I could eat it even with hotdogs ;P
Oh my gosh that looks so good, I would 2 plates right away. So many flavors. Quite a fusion dish before its time.
A perfect fusion!!
Wow, this looks so delicious! I don't know why but I used to think that arroz meant rice:)
Jenn and Seth
oh my gosh this would make Seth super excited - i'll have to make this soon!
i love the eggs and peas in there, erica!
Everything about this rice rocks! The Colombian version is superb!