Arepas with Salmon and Shrimp (Arepas con Salmon y Camarones)
- 4 arepas about 6 inches
- 3 5 oz cooked salmon fillets cut into small pieces
- 15 cooked shrimp diced
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup grated onion
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, cilantro, garlic, ground cumin, lemon juice and onion. Mix well.
- Fold in the salmon and shrimp. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place an arepa in a serving plate, top with the mixture and garnish with cilantro.
This is the arepa I made myself for lunch yesterday. Arepas are an essential part of Colombian cuisine, which you may have already figured out if you’re a regular reader of this blog :). My mom actually believes that I could not live without arepas and if I really think about it…she’s probably right. Arepas are popular in Venezuela as well.
In Venezuela, they make arepas thicker and fill them with different ingredients than used in Colombia. In Colombia, we make the arepas thinner and top them with our favorite ingredients. Nowadays, you can buy arepas in packages at the grocery store, just like you’ll find Mexican tortillas. This arepa with salmon and shrimp was just wonderful. Enjoy it!