Avena Colombiana is a traditional and popular cold drink made with oats, milk, water, cloves, sugar and cinnamon. It's refreshing, creamy and very easy to make.
Avena Colombiana (Oatmeal Drink)
- ½ cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Pinch ground cloves
- 3 ½ tablespoons sugar
- Place the water, milk and oatmeal in a medium pot over medium heat and cook about 15 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon.
- Add the cinnamon stick, ground cloves and sugar and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the oatmeal mixture in a plastic container and refrigerate for a least 3 hours.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and place the mixture in a blender and blend for 2 minutes. Add more water if you like a thinner consistency.
- Serve cold.
Avena means oats in English and it’s a traditional Colombian drink that is rich, creamy and delicious. It is my mom’s favorite Colombian drink that is great with breakfast or you could serve it at any time of the day.
Happy Mother’s Day to all of the wonderful moms in the world!