Chickpeas with Ground Meat (Garbanzos con Carne Molida)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup grated onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ pound ground beef and ground pork
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon achiote
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans of chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the ground meat, and cook until well browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the cumin, salt, pepper, achiote and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add in the beef stock, tomato paste and chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and serve warm.
I made chickpeas with ground meat for lunch yesterday and it was so simple and delicious that I decided I needed to post it for you today. This is not a dinner party dish, but if you're looking for an easy recipe in which to use ground meat and canned chickpeas, this is a pretty good way.