Individual Asparagus and Caramelized Onion Frittatas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 14 asparagus cut into small pieces
- 6 beaten eggs
- ⅓ cup shredded fontina cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, add the onions and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Place all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Divide mixture equally into greased ramekins or individual oven proof dishes and bake for about 20 minutes or until tops are puffed and set.
- Serve warm.
I am a big fan of eggs in all forms and I absolutely love asparagus, so last week I made these asparagus and caramelized onions frittatas with a mix of cheeses and fresh herbs for breakfast and we loved it. For those who are unfamiliar with frittatas, they are defined as: an Italian dish made with fried beaten eggs, resembling a spanish tortilla (omelet).
Feel free to substitute my cheeses, herbs and vegetables for your favorite ones instead.