La Macana (Colombian Hot drink)
- 5 cups of whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- ½ cup of sugar or to your taste
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1 cup of sweet crackers crushed ( I used Graham crackers)
- Ground cinnamon for serving
- Place 3 cups of the milk with the butter and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil, cook over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the rest of the milk, butter, egg yolks, and crackers in a blender and blend until well combined.
- Add the egg yolk mixture slowly to the milk and stir well. Continue over low heat and simmer, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve warm. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
Have you Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @mycolombianrecipes and tag #mycolombianrecipes!
Since today is a cold day, I need a hot drink to keep my body warm. La Macana is a Colombian drink popular in the town of Salamina, located in the Caldas department of Colombia. This drink is made with milk, egg yolks, crushed crackers, cinnamon, sugar and butter, and it is usually served hot.
La Macana is thick, creamy, sweet and warm, the perfect drink for cold days.
We still are experiencing beach weather here (ugh). I am so ready for cooler air.
This drink would be awesome on a cold rainy night-I can imagine it now.
I've never heard of or seen anything like this before! Sounds delicious and perfect for chilly weather!
It is cloudy, rainy and COLD here...this is exactly what I would love now!
I need some good pastries to go with this!
Sounds like a wonderful treat to warm up to in cold weather. Not quite ready for it yet but will keep this post handy for the cold days to come!
egg yolks? interesting! it's almost like a thin custard!