This is a perfect week night meal the whole family will enjoy. Sneaking spinach into a dish it is a great way to get your picky kids to eat more leafy greens without any complaints.
This is a wonderful and simple pasta dish that can be served with salad and bread on the side.
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup hot pasta water
- Salt & ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound dried penne or other pasta
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Red hot pepper (optional)
- In a fry pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté lightly until golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the spinach and sauté, stirring, until completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and continue sautéing for about 2 minutes more.
- Place the spinach mixture, parsley, feta cheese and cream cheese in a food processor. Add the hot pasta water. Then season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Cook the pasta per package instructions. Drain and toss immediately with the green sauce. Sprinkle red hot pepper on top and serve with asiago or parmesan cheese.