Puré de Frijol y Plátano Maduro (Bean and Ripe Plantain Puree)
- 4 very ripe plantains peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 to matoes diced
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cup cooked red beans
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the plantains and stock or broth.
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until the plantains are very tender. Drain in a strainer, reserving the cooking liquid. Set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in the saucepan. Add the onions, garlic, tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, or until onions are tender.
- Place the plantains and beans in a food processor. Add the reserved stock, coconut milk, brown sugar, cilantro, cumin, and tomato mixture. Puree and season with salt and pepper. Place in a pot a cook stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
Have you Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @mycolombianrecipes and tag #mycolombianrecipes!
This Bean and Ripe Plantain Puree is a traditional Colombian side dish. I know it doesn't look good in the picture, but it is delicious and easy to make and goes perfectly with grilled beef, pork or chicken. This time I used canned beans to keep it simple, but my grandmother always made the beans from scratch.
This looks delicious, I´ve never seen anything like this in Colombia! Is it sweet, or is it at all like Mexican refried beans??
E- it is not like refried beans.
5 Star Foodie
sounds like a terrific combination, great flavors!
Some of the best things don't take a great photo. Never stops me from trying it, though. The plantains alone would make me want to make this dish.
(we had some guava bread pudding at a restaurant last week...it was delicious!)
erika me encantan todas sus recetas, son deliciosas yfaciles de entender muchas gracias. la comida colombiana es la mejor del mundo. felicidades
This sounds delicious and healthful. I will need to make this and try it out myself.
Since I adore beans I would love to try this. Hope all is well with you!
Looks pretty good to me!
Great combo..looks good to me.
Thank you everyone!