This Arróz con Leche de Coco is a traditional dessert from the department of Chocó in Colombia. The coconut adds a wonderful flavor to classic rice pudding. Serving a homemade dessert is a special treat, not a daily occurrence in my house, so to me, it better be worth the extra calories.
- 6-8 servings
- 1 cup rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 can (12 oz) of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cream of coconut
- 1 can (14 oz) sweet condensed milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Place the rice and the water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the salt and stir well. Cook uncovered for approximately 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the milk, coconut milk, cream of coconut and condensed milk. Stir with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 hour, or until the rice pudding thickens to desire consistency.
- Add the raisins and stir well, remove from heat, and let it cool at room temperature. The consistency should be very creamy. Refrigerate for a least 1 hour or overnight.