Arroz Sapopero is simply a soupy rice, with a texture similar to risotto, cooked with beef chunks, vegetables and smoked sausage. This traditional dish, originally from the Huila department of Colombia, is flavorful, filling, and absolutely delicious.
I served it with avocado on top and it was the perfect accompaniment. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound beef, diced
- 1 smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup rice
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced white potato
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 cup green beans, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the oil and butter. Add the sausage and beef. SautÃ© for 5 minutes or until the sausage and beef are brown. Transfer the meats to a plate.
- Add the onions and scallions and cook for about 5 minutes, Add the rice and stir to coat. Return the meats to the pan and add the potatoes, carrots and green beans.
- Add the water, stir and bring to a boil. Add cumin, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 45 minutes or until the rice is done and the beef is cooked.
- Turn the heat off and fluff the rice with a fork. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...