Brevas con Arequipe are a popular dessert in Colombia and a favorite in my family. My grandmother and mom made these as far back as I can remember. Mamita used to make pounds of Brevas con Arequipe and keep them in glass containers and give them to her kids to take home.
This will be a great treat to give for Valentine’s Day. In Colombia you’ll find Brevas con Arequipe at the supermarkets and we usually serve them with fresh cheese on the side. I absolutely love this simple and delicious traditional Colombian dessert!
- 24 brevas or figs in syrup
- 1 cup of homemade or store bought arequipe or dulce de leche
- Queso Fresco of fresh cheese for serving
- Cut the figs crosswise from the top, halfway down.
- Create an opening and scoop about 3 teaspoons of arequipe into the opening.
- Serve them with fresh cheese or place the in a glass jar and store up to 4 days.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...