I have to admit that I don’t like leftovers. There’s something about day-old food that usually makes me feel sick. There are some exceptions of course, like arroz con pollo or homemade beans, but if I can create a new dish using older ingredients, like day old roasted chicken, then that makes for a better experience for me.
It’s great discovering new ways to use leftover food that I actually enjoy, like this Chicken Burrito. If you have any leftover roasted chicken ideas, won’t you share them with us?
Thank you and enjoy!
4 large flour tortillas
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 cup salsa
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1 large tomato diced
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 scallion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 can (15 oz) red beans
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1. To make the beans: Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Cook the onions, scallion, garlic and peppers until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add beans, cumin and cook, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3.To make the rice: Rinse the rice thoroughly by placing it into a strainer and running cool water over it. Place the rice in a medium sauce pan, then add the chicken stock, oil, tomato paste and salt.
4. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once and cover, reduce to low heat and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the pot from the stove and let it sit for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice using a fork and set aside.
6. To assemble the burrito: Spread each tortilla with cream cheese and salsa then layer with the bean mixture, shredded chicken, rice, diced tomato, cilantro and avocado. Roll up burrito-style and serve with salsa on the side.