I have to admit that I don’t like leftovers. There’s something about day-old food that usually makes me feel sick. There are some exceptions of course, like arroz con pollo or homemade beans, but if I can create a new dish using older ingredients, like day old roasted chicken, then that makes for a better experience for me.
It’s great discovering new ways to use leftover food that I actually enjoy, like this Chicken Burrito. If you have any leftover roasted chicken ideas, won’t you share them with us?
Thank you and enjoy!
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 can (15 oz) red beans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- To make the beans: Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Cook the onions, scallion, garlic and peppers until onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, cumin and cook, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- o make the rice: Rinse the rice thoroughly by placing it into a strainer and running cool water over it. Place the rice in a medium sauce pan, then add the chicken stock, oil, tomato paste and salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir once and cover, reduce to low heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and let it sit for 10 minutes. Fluff the rice using a fork and set aside.
- To assemble the burrito: Spread each tortilla with cream cheese and salsa then layer with the bean mixture, shredded chicken, rice, diced tomato, cilantro and avocado. Roll up burrito-style and serve with salsa on the side.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...