This soup was inspired by mom’s sopa de verduras. As a little girl, I was a very finicky eater and that was at a time when grandmothers thought that if you weren’t a little fat, you weren’t healthy . So, my mom and grandmother did everything they could to get me to eat. My mom discovered that if she made me soup and put it in a blender, that I would eat it! Well, this vegetable creamy soup was my favorite.
Autumn is a beautiful season, but it has been very cold here in the Northeast part of the country lately. It even snowed yesterday, which was a big surprise. Although it’s only the middle of October, it seems as though winter has made an early appearance. I’m not a big fan of winter and every time I see the snow I think about soup. After all, what’s better than a bowl of soup on a cold winter day?
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup corn
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Heavy cream for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, scallions, garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, while stirring.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth and return soup to saucepan. Bring soup to simmer, correct seasonings adding salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with 1 tablespoon of heavy cream and garnish with cilantro.