This Lentil and Mango Salad recipe has become a favorite of mine. I love the tangy and sweet flavors, and I also know that I am doing something good for my family and I, serving this healthy dish.
This salad can also be made with beans instead of lentils, if you prefer. It would make a great addition to any summer buffet or as a weeknight accompaniment to grilled salmon or chicken. It looks beautiful, colorful, and impressive as part of any spread. Hope you enjoy it too.
(About 4 servings)
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cups ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add the lentils, bay leaf, salt and garlic cloves. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender to the bite, 18 to 25 minutes.
- Drain the lentils, discard the garlic and bay leaf, then put in a bowl. Stir in the red onion, mango, vinegar, tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, basil, cilantro, cumin and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Serve the salad at room temperature or cold.