One of the staple dishes at our house when I was growing up was this delicious Pollo a la Coca-Cola dish. It tastes great and is easy to throw together.
The chicken is tender and the sauce is deliciously rich and full of flavors. We ate it with black eyed peas rice, and it made a wonderful meal. I used chicken legs for this dish, because I love all the flavor that chicken legs have to offer, but you can use chicken breast if you don’t have legs or thighs on hand. I am a chicken leg girl, for sure.
- 8 chicken legs or thighs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup of Coca-Cola
- 1 1/4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- eason the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Working in batches, brown the chicken on all sides, 5 to 8 minutes total, adding more oil to the pan as needed.
- Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the Coca-Cola, tomato paste, sugar and stock and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the pan bottom.
- Return the chicken to the pan and spoon some of the sauce over the chicken. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes.Sprinkle fresh parsley and serve warm with rice on the side.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...