Guest posting today and sharing her delicious recipe is Sarah Naveen from “Vazhayila”. Sarah has a beautiful blog filled with Indian recipes.
I have many childhood memories associated with this particular dish. My grand mom used to make it every time I visited her during summer vacation. This is a very traditional and everyday dish from my native place called Kerala, located at the southern most tip of India. It is a place that is rich in the arts and is also rich in a variety of flavorful foods.
I guarantee that the aroma of this “Prawn and Mango” in creamy coconut milk is enough to get even the soundest of sleepers out of bed!!!
Serves – 2
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes
Prawns/Shrimp- 1 cup
Raw mango diced – 1/2 cup
Onion sliced – 1 nos
Ginger – a small piece
Garlic – 2-3 pods
Green chillies – 3-4 nos
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Thin coconut milk – 1 cup
Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
• In a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle , crush ginger, garlic and green chillies.
• Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When they pop, add diced onion, crushed ginger, garlic and green chilies.
• Make a paste with chili, coriander and turmeric powder by adding a little water and add to the pan. Combine it well.
• Add sliced mango pieces, salt and toss it for a minute.
• Pour thin coconut milk to the pan and add prawns. Mix it well.
• Cover it with a lid and let it cook on a medium flame for 6-7 minutes.
• Remove the lid, add thick coconut milk and curry leaves and mix it well.
• Let it stand on fire for 2 minutes and remove.
Serve hot with rice!!!!
To make thin coconut milk, take 1/2 cup of the canned coconut milk and dilute it with 1/2 cup of water.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...