Arroz con Lentejas y Coco is a traditional Colombian rice recipe and if you follow this blog, you know that I use coconut milk in a lot of the traditional Colombian dishes. This delicious rice with lentils dish makes a fabulous accompaniment and could also be served as a vegetarian meal, perhaps with a green salad.
- ½ cup lentils
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Rinsed and soak the lentils for 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the lentils, bay leaf, salt and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 30-40 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Discard the bay leaf, add the rice and stir until combined. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let it simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...