Rollo Rojo de Guayaba or Liberales is a classic traditional Colombian roll cake. It is basically a sponge cake filled with guava jam. This is a popular dessert all over the country and can be found in most Colombian bakeries. I enjoy making my own traditional Colombian baked goods at home. Considering that there are no Colombian bakeries even remotely close to me, I don’t have much choice This is one of those desserts that bring back my childhood memories, and I am happy to share it with you.
We have different variations of roll cakes in Colombia, such as Pionono and Brazo de Reina. Pionono is usually filled with dulce de leche and Brazo de Reina is filled with cream and fresh strawberries.
This Rollo Rojo de Guayaba or Liberales is one of my childhood favorites.Yes I know, I have many favorites…what can I say, I love Colombian food!
Don’t you just love that beautiful red color? This Rollo Rojo de Guayaba is the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup guava jelly or jam, stirred well
Red food color
Sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a baking sheet. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and butter the parchment paper, then brush with red food color all over. Set aside and lay a clean kitchen towel on a work surface and dust with sugar.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a bowl until stiff and set aside. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks until pale. Gradually add the sugar and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the egg whites into the flour-egg mixture.
- Spread the batter evenly over the colored parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the cake is golden.
- Run a table knife around the edges of the cake and invert the cake onto the prepared kitchen towel. Carefully peel off the parchment paper. Starting at the narrow end, roll up the cake and towel together, into a log. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Unroll the cake and remove the towel, spread the jam over the cake. Roll up the cake and transfer, seam side down, to a serving plate. Sprinkle more sugar and when ready to serve, cut the roll into thick slices and arrange on a platter.
Sorry, no posts found