A soft sponge cake roll filled dulce de leche and coconut. It's absolutely delicious and very easy to make.
What is Pionono?
It's also known as Brazo de Reina, a popular dessert in Spain, Colombia and other Latin America countries. There are many variations of the pionono, but it is generally is a cake filled with fruit preserves, puddings, dulce de leche or whipped cream combined with fresh fruit. You can also experiment with your favorite filling.
A couple of days ago I opened a jar of dulce de leche to make some cookies. I had some leftover so I decided to make my pionono using some of my favorite ingredients, coconut and arequipe or dulce de leche, as it is known outside of Colombia.
This dulce de leche cake roll is so easy to make from scratch and your guest will love it. The cake is light and the dulce de leche filling is sweet and creamy.
You'll Need these Ingredients
Eggs: You will use the egg whites and yolks to make this cake, but separated. I always recommend using cage free eggs for my recipes.
Flour: You need all purpose flour for this cake. Always sift your flour before using.
Sugar: Use granulated sugar to make the cake and powder sugar or confectioner's to cover it before serving.
Vanilla Extract: Use a good quality.
Dulce de Leche: You can find it online or any supermarket. I have a homemade recipe if you want to make it. This is for the filling.
Shredded Coconut: I recommend using sweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut. This gives a delicious flavor and texture to the cake.
Dulce de Leche and Coconut Cake Roll Recipe
- 5 eggs separated
- ½ cup all-purpose flour sifted
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Line a 9 x 13 brownie pan with parchment paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large clean bowl and with an electric mixer, beat until form soft peaks. Gradually add the egg yolks, one at a time until combined.
- Add the flour, vanilla extract and sugar and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Mean while, spread out a sheet of parchment paper or a wet towel . Turn out the cake onto the paper or wet towel . Roll up the cake loosely from one short side, with the paper inside. Let it cool.
- Unroll and remove the paper. Spread the dulce de leche and sprinkle coconut flakes over the cake. Roll up and dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Tips to Make this Cake Roll
*Roll up the cake when it’s hot out of the oven, if the cake is cold it will fall apart when rolling.
*Use a clean and dry bowl to whip the egg whites and also can not have any egg yolks.
*Store in the refrigerator the leftovers for a couple of days. Use plastic wrap or place it in a sealed container to keep it fresh.