My aunt made Pechuga con Salsa de Champiñones often and it’s a dish I’ve always loved but don’t make often enough myself. I made a chicken legs with mushrooms recipe for the blog before, but this chicken recipe is different, as it uses very thin chicken cutlets. It is a very quick and easy recipe to make for a weeknight dinner.
The chicken in this dish is so wonderfully tender and the sauce so rich and flavorful, this could easily become one of your favorite simple recipes. I like to serve it over rice, but feel free to serve it over noodles, mashed potatoes or if you don’t want to eat carbs, just serve it with a side of steamed broccoli.
Chicken Breast with Mushroom Sauce (Pechuga con Salsa de Champiñones)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 pounds sliced chicken breasts (cutlets) (VERY thin)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Fresh cilantro or parsley to your taste
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and add the chicken to the skillet, spreading it into an even layer. Cook for 1 minute, then cook the other side of the cutlets until golden brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter and add the mushrooms, garlic and onions to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and the onions are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the flour and stir, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the chicken broth, then add the salt, pepper and cumin. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 2 or 3 minutes, until the chicken is warmed through. Add the cream until completely combined, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle fresh cilantro and serve warm.
Robbie Ann Montgomery
This recipe looks like one that my bunch would request all the time. I would love to be able to print today's recipe but apparently I must wait until it is in the recipe index. CRUD.
We are fixing the print button soon!
This is my absolute favorite Colombian dish! I order it every time. Can't wait to make it at home - which could be dangerous!