Colombian Coleslaw (Ensalada de Repollo y Zanahoria)
- 2 cup carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 1/1 cups green cabbage cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup white onion chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice and rind of 1 lime
- Salt and black pepper
- Pinch of ground cumin
- Place the cabbage, carrots and onions in a food processor and process for about 1 minute or until the vegetables are finely chopped.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, cumin powder, lime juice and rind.
- Add the cabbage mixture to the mayonnaise mixture. Mix well to combine all the ingredients. Taste and add more sugar if desired.
This creamy salad is very popular at Colombian’s fast food restaurants and street hot dogs stands.
Every time I visit Medellin, I go to a restaurant called Frisby. Their specialty is fried chicken and the coleslaw they make is the best I ever had. If you ever go to Medellin you must visit Frisby and have the fried chicken with honey, beans, and coleslaw. That is my favorite combo and I am sure you will love it as much as I do.
yumm. i love coleslaw and yers sound great 🙂 Simply delicious and comforting!
Oh, its picnic time and this one looks like the perfect addition!
Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
I love this version of cole slaw - it looks so creamy and delicious!
I'd have no problem giving this a home alongside my burgers. Yum.
Thank you all for your comments!!!
looks great I learn so much about Columbian food here
sounds awesome & simple. great for summer parties & bbqs.
I think my MIL would love this recipe. She loves coleslaw but thinks it has too much sugar, and yours only has two tablespoons. I think this might just do the trick.
ME GUSTA MUCHO PERO HAY Q TENERCUIDADO POR QUE TIENE MUCHAS CALORIAS
I made this last weekend and it wasn't that great but I'm sure it was my fault somehow. I followed the recipe word for word and ended up with an orange puree. Tried again with less carrots and a bit more cabbage but it tasted too much like cabbage. Also, the chunks of cabbage stayed on top of my food processor and this made the bottom stuff to puree. It was a mess, so I'll stick with store bought cole slaw for now. LOL.
no tenia ni idea que se le echa sour cream... acà en Italia no se consigue, tienes la receta?
Just got back from Medellin. Had Frisby chicken & it was so good! Making this tonight. Love your recipes. Tried almost all of them. Deliciosos. Thank you for helping me make my husband's favorite meals. Keep up the amazing work!