Figs, Cheese and Dulce de Leche Tarts (Pasteles de Brevas, Queso y Arequipe)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry cut into 6 pieces
- 1 cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup queso fresco or Colombian fresh cheese quesito
- 1 cup arequipe or dulce de leche
- 3 brevas or Colombian style figs cut in half
- 1 beaten egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the puff pastry pieces on the baking sheet.
- Mix the cream cheese and queso fresco in a small bowl. Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the pastry, leaving about 1 inch border.
- Add arequipe on top of the cheese and place half fig on top of the arequipe.
- Brush the edge of the tart with the egg. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
Do you remember these Colombian-style figs? The other day I made a huge batch of them and I had too many to eat, so I made this tart with what I had left over. It was easy to prepare and really, really good.