Simple soups are definitely a comfort food for me and with the cold weather here, now is a great time to make a big pot. My mom always made this Mixed Vegetables and Chicken Soup for lunch when I was growing up in Colombia, always serving it with white rice, tomato salad and avocado on the side. I grew up eating soup at least once a day and one of things I crave the most when I’m homesick or not feeling well, are Colombian soups.
This recipe has the classic flavors that I always associate with traditional home cooked Colombian soups. The great news is that this amazing bowl of soup couldn’t be easier to make and you can have it ready in an hour!
Mixed Vegetables and Chicken Soup (Sopa de Verduras con Pollo)
- 8 chicken pieces
- 1 cup aliños sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup green beans cut into small pieces
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken broth or water, chicken pieces and aliños sauce in a large pot and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Cook for about 45 minutes on medium heat. Add the carrots, peas and green beans and cook for about 10 minutes more or until the vegetables are are tender. Add the chopped cilantro and serve warm.