Pasteles de Pollo (Colombian Fried Chicken Pies)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Lime and aji for serving
- 2 cups masarepa
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon sazon goya with azafran
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 cup peeled and diced white potatoes
- ¼ cup peas
- ¼ cup diced carrots
- 1 chicken bouillon tablet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped white onions
- 1 cup tomato
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the masarepa in a large bowl. Add the sazon Goya and salt and stir to mix well. Add the water and oil and mix to form dough. Pat the dough into a ball and knead for 2 minutes or until smooth. Cover with plastic and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, cook the potatoes in a pot with water and the bouillon tablet for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and gently mash the potatoes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onion and cook over medium-low heat stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, green onions, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken, peas and carrots. Transfer the chicken mixture to the mashed potatoes bowl and mix well to combine.
- Break small portions of the dough, about 1 ½ tablespoons each one, and form each portion into a ball by rolling between the palms of your hands.
- Place the balls of dough between two pieces of plastic and roll each out very thinly to form a circle. Remove the top plastic and place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of each. Place another circle on top to enclose the filling.
- Tightly seal the edges by crimping with the tines of a fork or using your fingers.
- Fill a large pot with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 360° F.
- Carefully place 2 or 3 pasteles at a time in the heated oil and fry for about 2 minutes until golden on all sides.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer the pasteles to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve with aji and lime wedges on the side.
Spring is here guys an I am very happy winter is gone 🙂
Life has been busy over the past couple of weeks. Our little baby is here and I didn't sleep for days. Actually, I still don't sleep much! Our family and friends have been wonderful, especially my mother-in-law, who helped me with everything. They are bringing us amazing food and gifts and I really appreciate every bit of help I get, especially when I am this busy and tired! My family does not live here, so I am a lucky girl to have such wonderful in-laws. I made this recipe before I went to the hospital and I want to share it with you today.
I would eat these Pasteles de Pollo every day if I could...probably not a healthy idea 🙂 They are the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack with a hot cup of black coffee or hot chocolate. It is very important to be sure the pasteles are sealed well.
This recipe makes a great appetizer as well. They can be made in advance and fried right before serving. The fillings can be customized easily, and they look and taste delicious.